Your new Cotton Ejis undershirt (or any cotton shirt) can shrink if you aren’t careful when washing it. However, there are steps you can take to keep it at its original size for good.
- Only use cold water when washing. Heat is not your friend. Cold water cleans just as well as warm or hot.
- Hand wash if possible. Agitation is a big contributor in causing natural fibers like cotton to shrink.
- If you can’t hand wash, use a delicate wash cycle. This will agitate less while still getting your undershirts clean.
- Hang or lay flat to dry (not in direct sunlight). Remember, heat is not your friend. Avoid the tumble dryer if you can. Need to speed up drying? Have a fan blow on your undershirts while they are hang drying.
- If you absolutely have to use the dryer, use the lowest setting possible and remove the clothes while slightly damp and allow them to finish air drying. This is not recommended as heat can cause shrinking.
Cotton shrinks because the tension that is applied to the yarn during the manufacturing process is released by heat from the washer, dryer and even sunlight, which causes the fabric to reduce in size. This is why most cotton clothing will shrink if not washed correctly. But stick to these rules and you should have no issues.